Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Typical Birth Story.

Although Belle was due to join our family in February, she decided to come on her own time. I worked right up until my due date, and we moved into our new apartment a week later, so it's nice that she didn't have to go through that hassle. On March 9 neither Nick nor I could handle waiting for her any longer. I had been on the induction list since the previous monday and was just waiting for a bed. We decided to go in for a non-stress test to make sure everything was okay with our little bun. We were also hoping that being in the hospital would mean that we would get a bed! Ha. Two days later we got the call. The nurse told us to have a good supper and come to the hospital around 7:00pm. We were there right at 7:00pm, we couldn't wait any longer. They hooked me up to all the necessary tubes and such, started the oxytocin drip and waited for the doctor to come see me. When Dr. Spence got there she said with a smile too big for her news, "We'll probably see this little one sometime Saturday.". Sometime Saturday, you have got to be kidding me- it's Thursday night! The drip started, but nothing was happening, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00. Not a single contraction as far as I could tell. At midnight they decided to break my water to get things rolling. That was the only part Nick left for, he's a little quirky. After midnight things started to get rolling. I would love to say I did the whole deal drug free, but I did get a shot of morphine around 2:30am. I like morphine.By 6:00am I was fully dialated and given the good news that I could start pushing, (sometime Saturday-we'll show that doctor!) Thanks to the wonderful laughing gas and encouragement of the dozen people who somehow ended up in the room, Belle was born after only one hour of hard work on my part. She joined us at 7:13am and we were so thankful she had finally arrived

No comments: